Rishi Kapoor was an Indian film actor-producer. He was known as the Chocolate hero of his era. Rishi Kapoor belongs to a family that has made a significant contribution to Bollywood. Rishi Kapoor has done hundreds of films in his film career. During this, he also won many awards. In 2008, Rishi Kapoor awarded the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award. Rishi Kapoor is still an active actor in Bollywood.
Rishi Kapoor’s Early Life
He was born on 4 September 1952 in Chembur, Mumbai. Rishi Kapoor is the middle son of Bollywood’s show man i.e. Raj Kapoor.
He was the grandson of actor Prithviraj Kapoor. He had two sisters, Ritu Nanda and late Rima Jain. Rishi Kapoor had two brothers. Both Randhir Kapoor and Rajiv Kapoor are Bollywood actors. His Nick Name is Chintu.
He completed his early studies with his brothers at Campion School, Mumbai and further studies at Mayo College Ajmer.
Rishi’s Personal life – Wife & Childrens
Rishi Kapoor married to Bollywood actress Neetu Kapoor. Let me tell you, Rishi and Neetu dated each other for five years before marriage, after which they got married.
He has two children. Ranbir Kapoor and Ridhima Kapoor. Ranbir Kapoor is also a chocolaty hero of Bollywood like his father Rishi Kapoor. Rishi Kapoor’s daughter Ridhima married to business man Bharat Sahni. Bollywood’s leading actress Kareena Kapoor and Karisma Kapoor are nieces of Rishi Kapoor.
Bollywood career of Rishi Kapoor
Being from a film family, Rishi Kapoor was always interested in acting in films. Rishi Kapoor made his Bollywood debut in 1970 with his father’s film Mera Naam Joker. In this film, Rishi played his father’s childhood.
Rishi Kapoor started his Bollywood career as an actor in the 1973 film Bobby. His opposite Dimple Kapadia was in this film. This film was a blockbuster and it was the top grossing hit of Indian Cinema in 1973. Bobby became the second highest grossing hit in 1970s. It was not stopped yet, the film also became an overseas blockbuster in Soviet Union, where it drew more than 62 million viewers.
Bollywood Journey With his wife Neetu Singh
Rishi Kapoor played the romantic hero in 92 films from 1973-2000 in his career. He has acted in 51 films as a solo lead actor. Rishi Kapoor was one of the chocolaty heroes of his era. He gave many romantic hits of Bollywood. Rishi has acted in 12 films with his wife Neetu Kapoor.
After the magic of his fabulous and charismatic acting into the world of acting, Rishi also tried his hand at directing. He directed the 1998 film Aa Ab Laut Chalen starring Akshaye Khanna and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan.
Rishi Kapoor always played the romantic character from the beginning of his career, but everyone shocked to see his villainous character in the film Agneepath. Rishi also awarded the IIFA Best Negative Role Award for the film Agneepath. He played the role of Rouf Lala in Agneepath.
Bollywood Career in 2000s
After 2000 he moved to the supporting roles in Bollywood.
During his supporting role career in his Bollywood journey He appeared in many films such as Yeh Hai Jalwa (2002), Hum Tum (2004), Fanaa (2006), Namastey London (2007), Love Aaj Kal (2009) and Patiala House (2010). Loved by everyone in his supporting roles also.
Along with Indian cinema also appeared in the British films like Don’t Stop Dreaming (2007) and Sambar Salsa (2008).
Once again he reunited onscreen with his wife Neetu Singh in the film Do Dooni Chaar (2010).
Rishi Kapoor also acted in the movie Chintu Ji in which he played himself.
In 2012 he appeared in a negative character role in Agneepath
He appeared in the multi-starrer Housefull 2 with his brother Randhir Kapoor for the first time after the movie ‘Khazana’ in the mid-1980s.
Rishi did a cameo appearance in Yash Chopra’s Jab Tak Hai Jaan along with his wife Neetu Singh.
Re-unite with Amitabh Bachchan
After 27 years in 2018, we saw both Amitabh Bachchan and Rishi Kapoor together again in 102 Not Out, it was a comedy-drama film which was directed by Umesh Shukla. The film taken from a Gujarati play which also titled as ‘102 Not Out’ which was written by Saumya Joshi.
In 2019, he did a comedy drama film and a mystery thriller. The two films were Jhootha Kahin Ka which was a comedy-drama film directed by Smeep Kang and The another folm was Body with famous Bollywood actor Emraan Hashmi, it was a mystery thriller film written and directed by Jeethu Joseph, which was released on 13 December 2019.
It was his last released film before he left the world with sorrow on 30th April 2020.
He was working in film Sharmaji Namkeen which was directed by Hitesh Bhatia, in this movie Rishi Kapoor was working with Juhi Chawla but before the completion of the movie, he left the world.
- 1955– Shree 420 (Appears in song “Pyar Hua Iqrar Hua”)
- 1970 – Mera Naam Joker
- 1973 – Yaadon ki Baarat, Bobby
- 1975 – Raja, Raffu Chakkar
- 1976 – Kabhi-Kabhi, Baarood , Laila Majnu , Rangila Ratan
- 1977 – Chala Murari Heero Banane , Amar Akbar Anthony, Dusra Aadmi
- 1978 – Naya Daur , Pati Patni or Wo, Badalte Rishte , Phool Khile hai Gulshan Gulshan
- 1979 – Jhutha Kahin Ka , Salam Memsahab , Sargam
- 1980 – Dhan Daulat , Apke Diwane , Do Premi , Karz ,
- 1981 – Naseeb , Zamane ko Dikhana hai
- 1982 – Prem Rog, Ye Wada Raha, Didaar
- 1983 – Coolie
- 1984 – Duniya,
- 1985 – Sitamgar , Zamana , Saagar , Tawaif
- 1986 – Dosti Dushmani, Nasib Apna Apna,
- 1987 – Sindoor , Hawalat , Pyar ke Kaabil
- 1988 – Ghar ghar ki kahani, Vijay , Hamara Khandan
- 1989 – Gharana, Hathiyaar, Bade Ghar ki Beti , Chandni , Khoj
- 1990 – Aazad Desh ke Ghulam, Sheshnaag , Amiri or Garibi
- 1991 – Ranbhumi , Ajuba ,Ghar Parivar, Heena , Banjaaran
- 1992 – Honeymoon, Bol Radha Bol , Deewana
- 1992 – Damini , Shaadhna
- 1993 – Saahiba , Shriman Ashiq , Izzat Ki Roti
- 1994 – Ghar Ki Izzat, Prem Yog, Saajan Ka Ghar, Ina Mina Dika
- 1995 – Yaarana , Saajan Ki Baahon Me, Hum Dono
- 1996 – Daraar , Prem Granth
- 1997 – Kaun Sachcha Kaun Jhutha
- 1999 – Jai Hind
Movies After 2000s
- 2000 – Kaarobar , Raju Chacha
- 2001 – Kuch Khatti Kuch Mithi
- 2002 – Ye hai Jalwa
- 2003 – Kuch To Hai, Tehzib
- 2004 – Hum Tum
- 2006 – Fanaa
- 2007 – Om Shanti Om, Namastey London,
- 2008 – Thoda Pyar Thoda Magic, Hallabol
- 2009 – Love Aaj Kal , Delhi-6, Chintu Ji
- 2011 – Patiala House, Tell Me Oh Khuda
- 2012 – Jab Tak Jaan , Agneepath, Housefull 2
- 2013 – Besharam , Aurangzeb
- 2015 – Shadi Pulao
- 2016 – Sanam Re & Kapoor & Sons.
- 2017– Patel Ki Punjabi Shaadi
- 2018– 102 Not Out & Mulk
- 2018– Rajma Chawal
- 2019– Jhootha Kahin Ka
- 2019– The Body
- 2020– Sharmaji Namkeen (It was the last movie he was shooting before he died)
Recognition (Awards) to Rishi Kapoor
- 1974 – Filmfare Award for Best Actor for Bobby
- 2008 – Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2009 – Honoured by the Russian Government for contribution to cinema
- 2010 –Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Love Aaj Kal
- 2011 – Best Lifetime Jodi along with Neetu Singh by Zee Cine Awards
- 2011 – Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor for Do Dooni Chaar
- 2013 – The Times of India Film Awards (TOIFA), for Actor in a Negative Role in Agneepath
- 2016 – Screen Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2017 – Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor for Kapoor & Sons
- 2017 – Best Actor in a Comic Role for Kapoor & Sons
Some Unknown fact about Mr. Kapoor
- Rishi Kapoor auditioned for the film Agneepath for the first time in his four-year film career.
- He played a negative role in Agneepath for the first time in his film career, which was liked by his fans.
- Rishi Kapoor was the chocolate hero of his era, it is bound to have an affair, before marrying Neetu, Rishi Kapoor dated a girl named Yasmin
- Just as Rishi Kapoor played the Towel Dropping in his film Bobby (1973), Rishi Kapoor’s son Ranbir Kapoor played the Towel Dropping in his debut film Saawariya (2007).
- Anushka Sharma and Abhishek Bachchan urge Rishi Kapoor to join Twitter.
- During the shooting of the film “Kapoor and Sons”, Rishi Kapoor told Karan Johar that he has got a very difficult role, which takes him 12 to 13 hours to make up.
- In January 2017, he aired his autobiography “Khullam Khulla: Rishi Kapoor” without censorship.
Rishi Kapoor’s Death
He was diagnosed with cancer in the year 2018, after which he was treated in New York for about a year. Subsequently, after his return to India, he was seen very rarely in public, amid which he was treated. After suffering from cancer for two years, Rishi Kapoor died in Mumbai on 30 April 20, aged 67. At his last time, he was admitted to the HN Reliance Foundation Hospital in Mumbai. Meanwhile, he was shooting for his film Sharma ji Namkeen.
Rishi Kapoor has ruled our heart for many years. We have enjoyed and appreciated his works, we laughed, cried enjoyed every bit of his acting. Now he has left this world, he left us with his wonderful memories. All condolences with his family, may his soul rest in peace. He will always be alive in our memories.